Endometriosis Treatment Options: Naturopathic Care in Ottawa
Endometriosis treatments in Ottawa, ON Canada can be helpful in addressing some of the most problematic symptoms this condition can present. In addition to increasing the risk of infertility, it causes other symptoms which can lead to discomfort with digestion, urination, mood changes, irregular periods, and in severe cases even fainting.
Endometriosis is caused by a combination of factors, and it affects approximately 1/10 Women of reproductive age globally. Some of the main factors which increase the risk for growth of endometriosis or encourage it to thrive are listed below.
What Causes Endometriosis?
1. Estrogen dominance: an increase in estrogen levels in the body, relative to lower progesterone levels which is common with endometriosis, creates an environment favourable for continued growth of the endometriosis or its persistence.
2. Low Vitamin D levels may contribute, as low vitamin D lowers the COMT enzyme in the liver, which reduces the liver's capacity to effectively metabolize estrogen. COMT enzyme has a protective effect in the body by increasing the conversion of estrogen to less harmful forms of the hormone in the body.
3. Increased inflammation: the increase in inflammatory cytokines, produced by the endometrioma itself, creates an environment in the tissue local to it, to promote its own continued growth.
4. Immune System Imbalance: the immune system fails to effectively target endometriosis tissue in locations outside of the uterus. A normal and healthy functioning immune system should target these tissues and help break them down. However, in patients with endometriosis there is a dysregulation in the immune system and natural killer cells are unable to target the endometriosis.
5. Continued Spread to other Tissues: this can happen by endometrial cells travelling to other sites by one of 3 pathways: through the circulatory system, the lymphatic vessels, and through retrograde blood flow (menstrual flow going in the opposite directions in to the Fallopian tubes and in to the abdominal cavity.
Treatment Options for Endometriosis
1. Fertility Acupuncture: acupuncture for endometriosis can be helpful in improving blood flow to the uterus, reducing cramping and pain, improving hormonal balance, reducing stress and reducing inflammation.
2. Vitamin D Injections: can be helpful in increasing Vitamin D much quicker than an oral supplement. This is especially helpful in cases where Vitamin D blood test results show a significant deficiency.
3. Diet & Lifestyle: this is a cornerstone for treating endometriosis. Diet and lifestyle recommendations specific for this condition can help to improve fertility, reduce estrogen dominance, improve hormonal imbalance, reduce pain, and potentially reduce inflammation in the reproductive organs and body.
4. IV Therapy: can help to provide the antioxidants in high concentrations to support egg quality, and reduce damage to the eggs from oxidative stress, especially since oxidative stress and inflammation are in most cases elevated with endometriosis.
5. Bioidentical Progesterone Therapy: the BHRT with progesterone can help to support the low progesterone levels usually associated with endometriosis and support healthy implantation and pregnancy.